- Official interpretation of norms of the Constitution;
- Consideration of laws adopted by the Parliament with respect to their compliance with the Constitution of the Republic before they are signed by the President;
- Consideration of international treaties of the Republic with respect to their compliance with the Constitution, before they are ratified;
- The decision in case of a dispute the questions of correctness of carrying out:
a) presidential elections,
b) elections of deputies of the Parliament,
c) republican referendum;
- Consideration of decisions adopted by the Parliament and its Chambers to their compliance with the Constitution of the Republic.
The Constitutional Council also provides an opinion on compliance with established constitutional procedures prior to the adoption by Parliament respectively of the decision on the early dismissal of the President of the Republic, the final decision on the dismissal of the President of the Republic.
The Constitutional Council considers appeals of the courts If a court finds that a law or other regulatory legal act subject to application infringes on the rights and liberties of an individual and a citizen established by the Constitution.
The Constitutional Council considers appeals of the President of the Republic in the interests of protecting human and civil rights and freedoms, ensuring national security, sovereignty and integrity of the state
a) on consideration of the law or other legal act that came into force on compliance with the Constitution of the Republic,
b) on giving a conclusion on compliance of amendments and additions to the Constitution of the Republic put to the republican referendum or to the Parliament of the Republic with the following requirements: the independence of the state established by the Constitution, the unitarity and territorial integrity of the Republic, the form of its governance, as well as the fundamental principles of the Republic's activities laid down by the Founder of Independent Kazakhstan, the First President of the Republic of Kazakhstan - Elbasy, and his status are unchanged.
The Constitutional Council on the results of the generalization of the practice of constitutional proceedings annually sends to the Parliament a message on the state of constitutional legality in the Republic.